Welp, the jungle and I are not soul mates. Bardia is like a huge tourist-free version of Chitwan. There are no tourists because it is really hard to get to and because it is in the heartland of the recently ended Maoist conflict. I had a set program through a resort there, and the first day was a full day-long jungle trek. I was the only guest who had that program that day, so I got a private safari. I have to say, walking through a National Park famous for tigers, sloth bears, crocodiles and rhinos with nothing but a small Nepali man with a stick to protect you is a very humbling experience. It turns out, I should have been a lot less worried about the animals I came to see and a lot more worried about allergies and leeches. I am allergic to absolutely everything in the jungle and apparently am the biggest leech magnet in the world. I’m glad leeches aren’t dangerous, but having my entire pant leg and both socks soaked in blood was too much for me. It was not such a fun day, though in some way it’s nice to know that not every single place in Nepal is a candidate for most amazing place in the country. And I am proud of myself for not bursting into tears in the middle of the jungle as I so badly wanted to after attack of the leeches round three (not to mention four, five and six).
| Most of the day spent in this position: hiding in the bushes by the river. |
But they had baby elephants! I like baby elephants!
No comments:
Post a Comment